We provide Sikh educational visits to and from Primary schools, secondary schools, colleges, universities and all other educational establishments in Manchester
This service has been requested by many educational establishments, due to coach costs, pupil letters, risk assessments and logistics of bringing pupils to a Gurdwara (Sikh Temple). Therefore we can now visit your establishment and conduct an educational visit there and tailor it to your needs.
Manchester is a very multi ethnic, multi cultural and multi diverse city where Religious Education forms a major part of the curriculum. Therefore the need to promote British Values is more greater now than it has ever been.
We feel it is very important to make sure that we are all aware of the various aspects of all different religions for us to progress and prosper best in today’s society and promote religious integration and social cohesion. Our talk is cross-curricular and is relevant to PSHCE re: citizenship
This can consist of an individual class group or as a whole year group at a time.
We can provide the following to help along side the current curriculum:
- A brief introduction into the history of Sikhism and our Gurus
- The purpose of the Gurdwara (Sikh Temple)
- The Sikh way of Life
- An understanding of the Sikh Beliefs.
- Sikh Identity – How to recognise a Sikh.
- An overview of Sikh customs and religious symbols.
- An outline of the major Sikh Festivals.
- Show you how a Sikh ties his turban.
- Hymn singing and playing on the musical Sikh instrument called the Harmonium (Waja)
- A question and answer session
The preferred method of contact would be email as it is much more efficient.
If you wish to have your visit at the Gurdwara that can be possible also. The address for the Gurdwara is Sri Guru Harkrishan Gurdwara, 12 Sherborne Street, Manchester. M3 1FE
In your email, please supply us the following information:
- Preferred date of visit
- Full Name and Address of School (In Manchester and surrounding area)
- Year Group
- Number of Pupils
- The outline of what is required from the above list
I look forward to helping you make the best use of the educational resources available to yourselves and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Hope to see you soon and further your knowledge of Sikhism
Pritpal Singh Makan
Educational Visits Coordinator